After many late nights over the past 4 weeks, Oz Fair Trade is up and running. I’m glad that I made the move. Global Handmade was a great name, but it lacked clarity of what the organisation stood for. After 10 months of running Global Handmade, I have learned a lot about e-commerce, business, marketing, social media, web building, accounting, etc.; the list goes on and on. I felt that I could devote my life to the promotion of fair trade and alleviation of poverty. So the first thing I did was choosing a new brand name that better represented the mission and value of the organisation. Then the real job begins.
Here, I wish to offer my two cents worth of advice to anyone who is thinking of rebranding an e-commerce business or any small business in general. Some of these might not be applicable to your situation, but I hope you’ll find something useful here.
In summary, the steps I undertook were:
- Consider pros and cons of rebranding. Make a decision. Document a rebranding strategy.
- Choose a new name. Design a new logo. Purchase a new domain. Set up new emails.
- Build a website.
- Order new business cards and promotional materials.
- Update brand information at all social media platforms, blog, external review websites etc.
- Create a new Paypal account.
- Create a new google analytics account.
- Redirect traffic from the old website to the new website
- Inform all past customers about the move
- Build SEO for the new website
- Spread the word!
Coming soon – How to rebrand an e-commerce store (Part II)
Please check out our new website http://www.ozfairtrade.org